Wednesday, October 29, 2008
GAC abbreviates as Global Assembly Cache. It is acting as container of strongly named assemblies which are shared by multiple applications.
Assemblies are generally two types:
1. When we want to share the assemblies for more than one application.
2. To maintain versioning for one assembly (more than one version number for one assembly) then we registered the assembly into the GAC using the gacutil.exe tool.
Before the registration into GAC we have to sign the assembly with the public key means sign with strong name (uniquely identify) by the help of sn.exe tool.
Like------------ SN –k Path of the assembly
After signing with key, the path will specify in the Assemblyinfo.cs file. Then add the assembly into the GAC by
Gacutil –I “strong name” “dllName”
Gacutil –u “strong name” “dllName”------------FOR REMOVING form the GAC
Also Read other Top Articles
- JSON Serialization in VS 2008
- Implementing Forms Authentication in Silverlight Application.
- Making GridView Rows or Individual Cells Clickable and Selectable.
- Enabling browser back button for GridView Paging and Sorting in Ajax 1.1 and 3.5 (using Visual Studio 2005/ Visual studio 2008)
- How to pass values from User Control to Page or calling Page methods from User Control.
- What is WCF?
- New features in C# 4.0
- C# to VB.NET and VB.NET to C# online free converter tools.