Wednesday, November 12, 2008
1. Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) is an SDK for developing and deploying services on Windows.
2. WCF provides a runtime environment for your services, enabling you to expose CLR types as services, and to consume other services as CLR types.
3. Although in theory you could build services without WCF, in practice building services is significantly easier with WCF.
4. WCF is Microsoft’s implementation of a set of industry standards defining service interactions, type conversion, marshaling, and various protocols’ management.
5. Because of that, WCF provides interoperability between services.
6. WCF provides developers with the essential off-the-shelf plumbing required by almost any application, and as such, it greatly increases productivity.
7. The first release of WCF provides many useful facilities for developing services, such as hosting, service instance management, asynchronous calls, reliability, transaction management, disconnected queued calls, and security.
8. WCF also has an elegant extensibility model that you can use to enrich the basic offering. In fact, WCF itself is written using this extensibility model.
9.WCF uses a pluggable encoding system, allowing developers to write their own encoders. With the release of the .NET Framework 3.5 in November 2007, Microsoft released an encoder that added support for the JSON serialization format to WCF. This allows WCF service endpoints to service requests from AJAX-powered web pages.
WCF is part of .NET 3.0 and requires .NET 2.0, so it can only run on operation systems that support it. Presently this list consists of Windows Vista (client and server), Windows XP SP2, and Windows Server 2003 SP1 or their later versions.
For More info on WCF check following ULRs
Also Read other Top Articles
- JSON Serialization in VS 2008
- Implementing Forms Authentication in Silverlight Application.
- Making GridView Rows or Individual Cells Clickable and Selectable.
- Enabling browser back button for GridView Paging and Sorting in Ajax 1.1 and 3.5 (using Visual Studio 2005/ Visual studio 2008)
- How to pass values from User Control to Page or calling Page methods from User Control.
- What is WCF?
- New features in C# 4.0
- C# to VB.NET and VB.NET to C# online free converter tools.